Google

Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Camberwell Market Experience

Here in Melbourne, we have this wonderful trash and treasure market in Camberwell where people can hire a stall and sell whatever they like. Sad thing is, Camberwell Market opens every Sunday at 6.30am and closes by 12.30pm. So, stall owners have to get there real early to set up and be out of there by 1pm.

Several months ago, Siew Yum, BBs and I decided this would be a great opportunity to ged rid of the stuff we dont want and make a little cash for it. We were so excited with the prospect of making some money, we couldnt wait to unload our pre-loved items in hope that our thrash would becomes someone else's treasure. On the morning we were to open our stall, BBs and I were too lazy to even get out of bed! We were so close to calling in sick. But, our dear friend Siew Yum was already enthusiastically setting up shop at 7am. So along we went, with our cars full of crap. When we got there, it turned out to be a cold yet sunny day. Earlier in the morning when I was in bed, I was so tempted to stay under the doona because of the pouring rain outside. But all was good, and we were there ready to earn some dinner money.

I carefully laid out all my precious clothes on the ground. We were so unorganised and as a result had to just throw our clothes into heaps on the floor. If we had've been bothered to be there by 6am, we could've gotten some nifty clothes hangers and stands. Anyway, the sight of our messy Forges looking store made many people turn to look, but not many actually stepped in to pick anything up for a real inspection.

BBs was the first to sell an item. She got rid of her wakeboard for a whopping $50, or was it $100. I cant remember exactly, but I do remember she made more than any of us in total! I managed to sell my old Play Station for $30 with atleast 50 games included. What a bargain.

Samantha Jones came to visit us and tried to help by getting customers in. She did a terrible job and ended up taking 2 dresses home instead!! But the day was great fun, although it was cold and business was quiet. I want to go again but this time, I'm going to be prepared and more organised. Now I just have to psych myself up for the 5am start on a Sunday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment